Skip to main content
The NCI Community Hub will be retiring in May 2024. For more information please visit the NCIHub Retirement Page:https://ncihub.cancer.gov/groups/ncihubshutdown/overview
close
  • Discoverability Visible
  • Join Policy Open/Anyone
  • Created 05 Jan 2016

Cancer Registries

1. Tulika Singh

Scroll down and click next page to see all comments!

Please post all questions on cancer registries on this board. The first week's office hours will be about Cancer Registries on this discussion thread, on:

Wednesday February 17, 9 PM – 10 PM Singapore time (Wednesday February 17, 8am – 9am Washington time).

You will have the opportunity to discus with Dr. Lee Hin Peng, Dr. Paul Pearlman, Dr. Anita Das, Dr. Brenda Kostelecky, Dr. Ann Chao, Ms. Karin Hohman, and Ms. Leslie Given. The attached reading is suggested for the office hours by our faculty. We look forward to meeting you during office hours, at the times listed above.

Report abuse

2. Tulika Singh

Our faculty have suggested some interesting questions to get to know you and launch the discussion. Please take a look and share by posting a comment. Faculty will respond immediately at the time of the office hours.

1. What are your countries biggest challenges around registry development?
    2. What is the stage of development in cancer registration in your country?
    3. Do have adequate legislative, administrative and financial support for this work?
    4. Is there sufficient clinical (medical and para-medical) support?
    5. Do you have a good IT system in place?

Report abuse

3. Brenda Kostelecky

Office hours are now open for the Cancer Registries discussion! We'd love to hear what questions people have about the reading on registries.

Report abuse

4. Tulika Singh

Hello everybody! I am online at this time as well. Please remember to keep refreshing your browser so you see incoming messages. Keeping your email open on the side will help with that too.

Report abuse

5. Ann Chao

Hi Brenda and Tulika.  I'm also online.  Ann

Report abuse

6. Anita "Onita" Das

I'm here too. Anyone else? We'd love to hear from you

Report abuse

7. Brenda Kostelecky

For those currently online...I'm wondering whether anyone has thoughts on strategies to improve cancer registration for rural populations since it is much easier in most cases to reach urban populations.

Report abuse

8. Ann Chao

It depends on the availability of facilities for cancer diagnosis and treatment.  In resource limited settings, there are fewer such facilities in rural areas.

Report abuse

9. Tulika Singh

In such cases would it be more beneficial to focus on building the infrastructure to bring the data/ samples to larger facilities? Are there any good examples of this?

Report abuse

10. Anita "Onita" Das

There is ongoing discussion about reaching rural populations. I think it's important to continually discuss this with the health authorities and health planners so they understand the importance of trying to include rural populations in cancer registration

Report abuse

11. Brenda Kostelecky

Ann or Anita, do you have any thoughts about best software to get started?

Report abuse

12. Ann Chao

Hello Dr. Pumuye,

The International Agency for Research on Cancer (http://www.iarc.fr/) provides the CanReg5 software with training and technical support.  To plan to start a cancer registry, it would be helpful to also consider where cancers are diagnosed and treated in PNG, methods of diagnosis beyond H&E, and ability to capture the report of cancer diagnosis, and ability to define population denominators.

Report abuse

13. Leslie Given

Thank you Dr. Pumuye for your question and Ann for your answer. Would anyone like to answer a question that was posed by Tulika? How about: 

1. Do have adequate legislative, administrative and financial support for this work? (registry development/expansion)

Report abuse

14. Brenda Kostelecky

Hi Dr. Pumuye,

Does PNG have any policy regarding cancer registration? Are there any hospital-based registries?

Report abuse

15. Anita "Onita" Das

Hi Dr Paul Pumuye,

To add to what has been mentioned, it is also important to find out what you have available eg funding support, trained staff, IT support to develop your cancer registry etc. I've heard of countries starting off their cancer registries with an excel spreadsheet or a microsoft access database because of limited resources

Report abuse

16. Ann Chao

Dr. Pumuye,

I should have mentioned that there is no cost to CanReg5.  I agree with Anita that it is possible to get started with Excel or another software.

You are probably familiar with other colleagues in PNG who are also interested in developing cancer registration and policy - Mr. Dadi Toka of Cancer Foundation PNG, staff of the National Department of Health, and other national and international agencies working on the national cancer task force.  The School of Medicine and Health Sciences of the University of PNG is an important component of this partnership.

Report abuse

17. Hin Peng LEE

I am a bit late into this discussion. Ann is right, there is no cost to CanReg. But the more important aspects would be the following:

1) coverage of the population with good demographic data

2) diagnostic facilities to be able to diagnose the cancers

3) data linkage networks to be able to link the path labs, hospitals and death registries. 

HP

Report abuse

18. Anita "Onita" Das

Hi Dr. Pumuye,

Here's the link to the IACR free CanReg5 software. It has helpful information: http://www.iacr.com.fr/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=68&Itemid=445

Report abuse